Happy holidays! I hope each of you finds time to enjoy this season of good cheer. One way I find joy is in writing. Combining my passion for words and the law to share helpful information about copyright, trademark, and estate planning is a gift I love to give. Let’s continue the yearly tradition of highlighting some of the blog posts you found most popular in 2021. I hope you enjoy this trip down Memory Lane!
Top five blog posts for 2021:
- How Will Prop 19 Affect My Property Taxes? Prop 19 is intended to increase California’s property tax revenue, so there are some significant changes to understand regarding the new limits to the parent-child exclusion.
- Three Reasons a Trust Won’t Avoid Probate With proper planning setting up the trust, and clear communication to beneficiaries, the time-consuming and expensive problem of probate court can almost always be avoided.
- Estate Planning Basics, Part 1 – What Documents Do I Need? Estate planning feels daunting to many people, so they avoid the process entirely. However, having the following essential documents will help ensure that your wishes are carried out: a will, trust, power of attorney, and advance healthcare directive.
- Three Legal Documents Everyone Should Have When They Turn Eighteen Turning eighteen is not only a cultural rite of passage but also a legal coming of age. Having a will, advance health care directive and power of attorney are important steps to take when joining the world of adulting.
- Discussing Your Estate Plan With Family Many people avoid talking about their estate plan with family because they worry about potential disagreements and being the cause of arguments. Of course, every family dynamic is different; however, clear communication is usually the best way to avoid future squabbles.
I hope you enjoyed revisiting these popular topics from the past year. If you have any unanswered questions and would like me to explain a specific topic or issue, please let me know. And, as always, if you want to speak to me directly about an estate or copyright question (or ask me to speak at an event), please reach out directly. I would love to talk!
P.S. For those who want to indulge in a little extra fun, the following are my top 10 blog posts of all time (it’s fun to see the variety of topics you were curious about!):
Top blog posts of all time:
- How Do I Put A Copyright Into My Trust
- Celebrity Horror Stories: When Estate Planning Goes Wrong
- What’s the Difference Between an Executor and a Trustee?
- Who Should I Choose for My Executor/Trustee?
- The Work-for-hire doctrine – When Is My Work Really My Work?
- Wills vs. Trusts – What’s the Difference?
- The Do’s & Don’ts of Using Content From the Internet
- Step-up in Basis: Inheriting Property from Parents
- How Will Prop 19 Affect My Property Taxes?
- I’m a Trustee; Now What?
Have a safe and happy holiday season!!
All the best, Kelly.